Ascott Analytical Equipment has developed an adaptation of its latest range of cyclic corrosion chambers to suit major vehicle manufacturer, Renault, and its suppliers worldwide.
Based on a CC1000iP unit, the adaptation is centred on a kit that comprises a series of special attachments to meet Renault’s D17 2028 cyclic corrosion test standard – commonly referred to in the automotive industry as the ECC-1 test.
“Where typical usage will see salt spray solution sprayed at a rate of 1 to 2 ml/80cm²/hour, Renault’s requirements are for a higher fall-out rate over a shorter period of time. ECC-1 requires a fall-out rate equivalent to 5 ml/80cm²/hour to be delivered over a 30 minute ‘pollution’ phase followed by precisely controlled variations in humidity at a single set temperature of 35ºC,” says Ascott Analytical MD, Chris Gates – who points out that the company is represented in France and in all French-speaking countries by Labomat Essor.
Additional modifications to meet Renault’s specification include a system for delivering high salt spray fall-out rates at maximum homogeneity, purpose designed support racks for specific components, a wall wash facility, an insulated viewing window and a salt solution consumption sensor.
“We are delighted to have been able to work closely with such a major and well-respected company to help ensure that its manufacturing operations gain from accurate and appropriate corrosion testing procedures,” Chris Gates concludes.
Key equipment facts
- Development centred on modification to CC1000iP unit to suit Renault requirements.
- Development meets Renault’s D17 2028 cyclic corrosion test standard – commonly known as the ECC-1 test.
- Configuration enables parts under test to mimic closely vehicle road test results.
- Cabinet features pneumatically operated canopy, large viewing window and touch sensitive, user-friendly control panel.
- Modifications relate to salt spray fall-out rates, provision of support racks, wall wash capability, insulated viewing window and salt solution consumption sensor.
- Development of significance to Renault and its suppliers worldwide.